Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Celestial Trumpets

Did you hear them last night?

I'm sure there was some kind of heavenly music when I took the final stitches on The Monster. I fought the pattern every step of the way, even down to the armhole facings which, when worked according to the directions, resulted in these weird flaring epaulets straight out of a cheesy sci-fi movie. I re-worked them with a simple, obedient ribbing and all was good.

I even made a point of thinking good thoughts on those last stitches in an attempt to counteract all the cursing I've done on this project. Never have I been so very glad to be finished knitting something.

The Spouse has already picked out buttons from the lovely fabric shop around the corner. They were quite spendy but given the blood, sweat, and tears on this project (and that I didn't have to buy new yarn) $25 for gorgeous buttons seemed almost trivial.

I've just washed it and, just as everyone promised, the majority of my knitting irregularities disappeared. It's blocking as I write and of course I can't wait for it to dry so I can get the buttons on and call it finished for good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I can't wait to see pics of The Monster in action.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I was hoping you continued full steam ahead last night. Congratulations! You're right: those buttons are amazing and will be just right for the Monster. I loved the feeling of their texture.

What's next?

Catherine

Tikkunknitter said...

Brava!! What spectacular buttons ... they'll make a terrific finish to your heroic effort on this one. You've inspired me to take out my own monstrous ghosts and get going on them.

Anonymous said...

..::applause::..

Congratulations!