Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Monster Lives

When last we saw The Monster, I was tearfully coming to grips with the realization that despite my perfect gauge, I would need to rip out nearly 2 months worth of very difficult knitting since the garment simply would not go around the middle of its intended recipient.

It was only a week or two before I decided to suck it up and cast on again, only bigger. I worked fairly steadily throughout January and most of February, took breaks as needed with easier projects, and eventually found myself passing the landmark of row 70 where I'd torn out. Somehow I got through all 80 rows of the pattern and started over again and tonight, miraculously, I bound off the back.

I still have the fronts and all sorts of edgings and whatnot to finish but it actually looks like I might complete this project, by far my most challenging knitting ever. It helps that I now have a deadline. The Spouse promises he'll wear the completed Monster at MonkeyBoy's June bar mitzvah, so that's motivating me to work hard. That and there are lots of other things I'd like to make, things that don't involve counters, a huge sheaf of battered xeroxed pages covered in multicolored sticky notes, and pesky cable needles which can disappear forever in the blink of an eye. This really isn't my style of project at all but it's nice to know that, with patience, I just might be up to the challenge.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Wow! It looks gorgeous, I'm sorry it is not going well. Ripping out stiches much be heartwrenching.

Won't it be hot in June?

Magpie Ima said...

Actually, June 14 in Portland is as likely to be rainy as warm. But my husband runs cold so he'll be perfectly happy in a sweater. And it's not a full sweater--just a vest.

Catherine said...

Ooooh, can't wait to see it in person. The cables look swell!

Mimi said...

That makes sense - it's likely to be rainy here on June 14, but not so cool!

Gorgeous all the same and I look forward to seeing photos of your love in it on the big day!