Friday, April 11, 2008

Seeing Ghosts

MonkeyBoy had a really funky bleach and dye job done by a friend a few months ago which was growing out in to a shaggy, oddly colored mess. When he asked for a haircut, I jumped and in we went today to get him shorn before he changed his mind.
The problem was that when he walked into the waiting area after the haircut I was completely taken aback by his resemblance to my brother. He has the same build and nearly the same face, right down to the cleft chin. With the shorter hair MonkeyBoy looked so much like his uncle that it brought tears to my eyes.The hair stylist thought I was upset about the job she'd done. I didn't know how to explain to her that I was seeing a ghost.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad, but bittersweet too. What a beautiful couple of photos.

Mimi said...

He does look like your brother, I can definitely see the resemblance. May his Memory be Eternal, and my hugs to you.

ElizO said...

Wow, yes there is an amazing resemblance. I'm so sorry your brother isn't around to see it.

Elizabeth said...

Wow. That is uncanny. I can see the reason for your reaction! And, Monkeyboy looks great!

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that's incredible - two beautiful young men. What a sad, sad loss for your family. Is Monkeyboy like Ben in other ways?

Catherine

Tikkunknitter said...

Strong genes. Strong memories. Strong woman.