Saturday, February 10, 2007

Lucky

Yesterday was payday and after a delicious lunch with a friend and 2 out of 3 kids, I decided to hit my favorite thrift store in an attempt to find some jeans. My body has changed so much in the last year, and continues to do so. Having a well stocked, super-cheap thrift store in walking distance means I can refresh my wardrobe as needed for next to nothing. Yesterday I think I may have hit my all time greatest thrifting score--a pair of black leather Dansko clogs, barely worn, in my size. The last pair of these I bought new was $109 (and worth every penny) but these I found for......$5! Also I found a pair of fancy new sandals for MonkeyBoy, some lovely, classic looking shirts for The Dark Lord who seems to be developing a new sense of style, a gorgeous summery paisley shirt for The Spouse in a delicious soft cotton, and a copy of The Cooking of India from the 1970's Time Life Foods of the World series in mint condition. I remember poring over these books as a child, though I'm not sure where as they weren't at my own house. Maybe at my grandparents' home. Lots of great photos, classic recipes, and a huge amount of information. I'm thrilled to add this to the collection. Oh, and I got a new pair of jeans, too.

I had a great walk today, a bit longer than usual but not particularly difficult. Inspired by the cycling goal of a friend who feels lucky just to be able to ride, I've set my own personal goal of walking 350 miles this year. She's doing it for charity, I'm just doing it for me right now. I need to either be walking more or up the length of my walks if I'm to make it--anyone want to walk with me? I feel so great after a good walk and I am grateful that I'm healthy enough to enjoy the exercise.

The Princess was invited to a Valentine's party this evening so The Spouse and I had a few hours to ourselves. We visited a new French style bakery where I had a delicious slice of onion tart, followed by a cream puff and a perfect cup of coffee. Bliss! Then, a trip to Mirador because I needed an additional jar for fermenting kombucha so I can up my production. Our evening was nothing terribly exciting, yet I put on my favorite paisley silk blouse and even a dash of lipstick just because a few hours alone with my sweetie is a gift and it felt very special. Every once in a while it occurs to me how very lucky we were to find each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melisa -- Beth here. You're always welcome to come on a little ride with me, especially after we get Drak Lord's bike up and running. I can do short rides. Really. Lemme know. --B