Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Tomorrow Begins Today

After a brief session with the refugee knitters this morning, I took the boys downtown to hear John Edwards speak at the longshoreman's union hall. I've written about him before because, so far, he's the only Democratic candidate for president in 2008 that really appeals to me. Some of the key points he raised in his appearance:
  • Ending the war in Iraq as soon as possible
  • Closing Guantanamo so the US is no longer engaged in torture
  • Addressing the climate crisis and ending our dependence on foreign oil
  • Providing affordable access to health care for all Americans
  • Strengthening the working and middle classes through college access, union membership, and equitable taxes
  • Changing the laws regarding predatory lenders and bankruptcy
  • Restoring America's moral leadership in the world
The hall was packed and the crowd loved what he had to say. Unfortunately he didn't have time to answer all the questions people had. I had hoped to ask for his thoughts on illegal immigration but didn't get the opportunity.


I have to say I was disappointed in his lack of unequivocal support for gay marriage but he does support civil unions which seems a step in the right direction and is surely more than many other candidates would offer on the issue. I'm one who believes the state shouldn't even be involved in the marriage business, though. Civil unions (with all the rights and privileges currently accorded only to heterosexual marriages) for everyone and head off to your preferred house of worship for a marriage ceremony that works with you spiritual beliefs....or not, as the case may be.

I'm hoping to take the boys to hear other democratic candidates though I confess I'm not sure I could sit through something similar held by Republicans, even for the sake of my kids' education. So far none of the other Democrats (apart from Kucinich, who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning an election) has really held my interest. Hillary's way too chummy with the big corporations and Obama seems vague and inexperienced. Edwards is looking good enough to me that I can overlook the whole haircut brouhaha which looks like a bunch of hooey anyway. Apparently when you're super rich (as every presidential candidate is) you spend tons of money on things the rest of us manage to live without. Personally I find it much easier to support a wealthy man who thinks about the rest of us than one who doesn't. Like, say, King George and his friends.

The Dark Lord shares his observations here. He was very attentive and I so enjoyed hearing his thoughts afterwards. I'm so delighted that he's taking an interest and has thoughtful responses to what he heard today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>>I'm hoping to take the boys to hear other democratic candidates though I confess I'm not sure I could sit through something similar held by Republicans, even for the sake of my kids' education.

Good luck with that. I hear that the Republicans tend to screen their audiences carefully to make sure that only True Believers get in.

Meanwhile, I wish I shared your enthusiasm for any of the front-running demo candidates. it's true thhat Kucinich can't win -- his height killed his chances before he opened his mouth -- but he's still the only guy who gives me any reason at all to open the damn ballot and vote.