- Ending the war in Iraq as soon as possible
- Closing Guantanamo so the US is no longer engaged in torture
- Addressing the climate crisis and ending our dependence on foreign oil
- Providing affordable access to health care for all Americans
- Strengthening the working and middle classes through college access, union membership, and equitable taxes
- Changing the laws regarding predatory lenders and bankruptcy
- Restoring America's moral leadership in the world
I have to say I was disappointed in his lack of unequivocal support for gay marriage but he does support civil unions which seems a step in the right direction and is surely more than many other candidates would offer on the issue. I'm one who believes the state shouldn't even be involved in the marriage business, though. Civil unions (with all the rights and privileges currently accorded only to heterosexual marriages) for everyone and head off to your preferred house of worship for a marriage ceremony that works with you spiritual beliefs....or not, as the case may be.
I'm hoping to take the boys to hear other democratic candidates though I confess I'm not sure I could sit through something similar held by Republicans, even for the sake of my kids' education. So far none of the other Democrats (apart from Kucinich, who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning an election) has really held my interest. Hillary's way too chummy with the big corporations and Obama seems vague and inexperienced. Edwards is looking good enough to me that I can overlook the whole haircut brouhaha which looks like a bunch of hooey anyway. Apparently when you're super rich (as every presidential candidate is) you spend tons of money on things the rest of us manage to live without. Personally I find it much easier to support a wealthy man who thinks about the rest of us than one who doesn't. Like, say, King George and his friends.
The Dark Lord shares his observations here. He was very attentive and I so enjoyed hearing his thoughts afterwards. I'm so delighted that he's taking an interest and has thoughtful responses to what he heard today.