Monday, May 28, 2007

Finished!

This is my second pair of Embossed Leaves socks this year, fresh off the needles and not yet washed or blocked. I made the first pair for myself in a leaf green wool; these are knitted in a lovely merino silk blend for Laura. Most of my most challenging knitting has been for Laura--I guess something about knitting for her takes away some of the frustration and just leaves me feeling good about learning new skills and proving to myself that I'm up to the challenge.

Laura is one of my favorite people ever. I met her a few years ago and she became one of my dearest friends in almost no time. She has stood by me through more hard things than I care to count. She is loyal and strong and just the person you want to have on your side. I just can't help but be happy around her.

I planned to have these socks done for her April birthday and was making good progress until I started to hear her plans about grad school, plans that involved moving across the country. Things went well for her and she's been offered an incredible offer to study, far from Portland. Of course I am delighted for her but I have a hard time showing it because I am so sad about her leaving. Our families have grown close and we're all having a hard time with it. And my knitting has suffered. I don't know how many times I had to restart the second sock. I kept making mistakes with the lace pattern, some days ripping out more than I'd managed to knit .

I didn't really want to finish these socks. Somehow in my mind that made their departure more real to me. Even though I know this is a tremendous opportunity for her, I selfishly don't want her to go. At least I know her feet will be warm through those cold Midwestern winters.

No comments: