Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mothers Day!

How am I celebrating? I'm happily set up at one of my favorite cafes. Alone. I've been here since 8:30 this morning and I really have gotten lots of work done. I'm not finished but, for heaven's sake, I've done enough for Mothers' Day!

But I wanted to write a bit in honor of today, for all those women who've helped me become the mother that I am.

Honestly, I don't remember a lot of my mother from when I was young. My parents divorced when I was five and she wasn't a big part of my life for many years. I like to think that she was doing her best for us by letting my father raise us, because I can't imagine how hard it would be away from your kids. Despite dealing with numerous chronic health issues, she just keeps fighting. She's never given up on me and she is still willing to work on our sometimes challening relationship and I do really admire that.

My grandmother figured very strongly during this time and continues to do so. How fortunate I am to have had such a long relationship with her. She was the steadfast source of unconditional love, something every child needs. It may not be true, but I felt I could do no wrong in my grandmother's eyes and that's been a powerful source of strength for me. From my grandmother I've learned how important it is to treat a child like the most special person in the world.

My father remarried when I was 11 and, while it took a while for our new family to come together, my stepmother took us all in and loved us in her generous and wickedly funny way. She's strong and stubborn and can always find the humor in any situation. She taught me that sometimes you simply have to laugh or you'll never make it.

My mother-in-law has always been so proud and adoring of her boys, and interested in supporting them even when their choices have been very different from those of their parents. She's accepted and supported our choice to homeschool with enthusiasm and always made us feel that we've made good choices. What a gift that acceptance and support has been!

There are so many friends out there that have cheered my kids on and listened to my doubts and made this whole crazy journey a lot more pleasant than if I were alone. Some of you are mothers yourselves and others not, but you've all made the world a better place for my kids and me. I'm assuming you all know who you are. Thank you so very much!

Now...go look at this picture. I think it says so much about being a mama and it makes me smile!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute! Hope you and your family had an absolutely terrific Mother's Day.