Thursday, May 08, 2008

As if I have anything to complain about....

My dental woes are pretty small potatoes compared the the devastation of Myanmar by Cyclone Nargis. Now they're predicting over 100,000 dead. 100,000 children, fathers, sisters, grandmothers, farmers, students, babies....I can't even begin to fathom such a number. They're reporting over a million homeless and extensive damage to the Burmese rice crop which could worsen the global food crisis.

Much of the tragedy, as I understand it was avoidable. The cyclone was not a surprise. How many people would still be alive had the government done its job and given evacuation orders?

I made my donation through American Jewish World Service, just one of many worthy organizations doing good work to help in this disaster. The urgent need for food, shelter, drinking water, and medicine is likely to continue for a long time.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Very true. You've reminded me to make a donation myself.