Monday, March 16, 2009

Gloating

Early in the term, at our fist faculty meeting, there was the usual complaining about low student attendance. For many of our students work comes before school which is understandable given the need to support themselves and often family back home. Low attendance has long been one of our greatest challenges. My supervisor suggested it was time to "get tough" and start kicking out students who missed too much class. I suggested we work more on positive reinforcement and the idea of The Great Pizza Race was born.

I told my students about it everyday, kept attendance records on view in the classroom, and made a chart showing class statistics. It was close for a while but we ended up winning the competition. Tonight we had a stack of pizzas delivered and we had a little party on our final review night. The students seemed to love it. I am just happy to see their progress when they improve their attendance.

No comments: