Sunday, February 08, 2009

Deslumpifying

Maybe all I needed to do was kvetch a bit. Things looks better already.

Many of you suggested that I just do something and so I did. I started small, just a batch of granola, but that simple act seemed to adjust my attitude.

It didn't hurt that I arranged for a massage at my beloved sauna place. I'd been hesitant to do so because honestly I couldn't imagine driving home after such an experience. Instead took the bus and arranged for The Spouse to pick me up.

It was a beautiful day, warm and sunny, so I decided to skip the bus transfer and walk the last almost 2 miles down a street I've driven hundreds of time but never walked. I had my camera along (I can't take the photos if I don't carry the camera) and the walk was full of delightful surprises.

The massage was just what my aching back needed and the sauna was an added plus. I really did feel like a new person when I skipped out of there and met my husband for a late lunch (I was so ravenous I didn't even mind mediocre burritos and tasteless salsa) and a stroll through my favorite art supply store. I spent the evening playing with my new paints and papers and had a grand time so I'm thinking maybe the slump is passing.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to share thoughts about getting out of this rut. Of course I know everyone goes through this, but it's good to know I'm not alone.


2 comments:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I have been in somewhat of a slump myself, so I offered no comments about your slump. However, I am glad that you are deslumpifying--I love that neologism!--and reading your blog with comments has helped me also.

ElizO said...

I love that art store--it is almost enough to make me want to actually make art. Glad to hear the slump is passing.