Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Savory Cheese Custard

This is one of my favorite standbys when I realize a meal is low on protein and we have nothing but cheese and eggs on hand. These savory custards from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone are quick, tasty, nutritious and well received, even by pesky children. You could make the custard in one large baking dish (cook it longer

You could certainly play around with different cheeses and seasonings but we are always pretty happy with a simple blend of Tillamook cheddar and Parmesan. I like these served with roasted potatoes and a simple vegetable on the side.

You'll find the printable recipe here.

4 comments:

Ali said...

I can't see the recipe if I click on the link. Just the title. Am I being dense?

Magpie Ima said...

Thanks for the heads up, folks. I don't know why that happens sometimes but I think it's fixed now.

terrepruitt said...

Wow! I love cheese so I am fascinated by this. But I am not so much a custard fan, so I am going back-and-forth between this sounding really good and it being kind of rich.

One of these days I will try it. I just sent it to my friends! I was hoping they would try it for me! :-)

Magpie Ima said...

Welcome, Terre! These don't seem all that rich to me but you can make them with 2% milk if you like. Let me know what you think. And I saw your comment about the challah--I am coming to SJ next week. My hostess wants a challah lesson and I want to take her to Nia with you so...things could work out well for you in the challah department :-)